Wednesday, January 11, 2012

What Should a New Reader Read?

What should I read??  I ask myself this question all the time (even though I have a million and one books piled high on my night stand, downloaded to my Kindle and packed into any of my countless purses).

I've learned though out my years of providing reader's advisory that it isn’t always the easiest to find a book that you enjoy or even like.  Often you hear of titles and authors but how do you know if its a book for you. 

The truth is you just have to jump in and try some books on for size.  If you are not getting into the story, likeing the characters or remembering what is going on the book may not be your cup of tea.  Don’t be disapointed.   and don't be afraid to put it down and try something else.  Not everyone likes to read the same things.  Reading for pleasure is an developing hobby.  It doesn’t always just happen.

To help you on your way to becoming WellRead try some of these titles.  Some are noted as among the best books of all time.  A number of selections I’ve been suggesting for years as great introductory reads for those who want to become readers.

Unless by Carol Shields
To Kill a mockingbird by Harper Lee
Night Fall by Nelson DeMille
Speak of the Devil by Richard Hawke
Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Album (memoir)
The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitgerald
Trick of the Eye by Jane Stanton Hitchcock
All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren
The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
Shutterbabe: Adventures in Love & War by Deborah Copaken Kogan (memoir)
Book of Lost Things by John Connolly
Tell No One by Harlen Coben
Alice's Adventures in wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon
Overnight Socialite by Bridie Clark
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls (memoir)

No comments:

Post a Comment